Comprehensive Financial Planning
About the Financial Advisor
Dave graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, majoring in Accounting. He earned his CPA designation while working with the public accounting firm of Ernst & Whinney (now Ernst & Young). Further audit experience was gained as Senior Internal Auditor for Carlson Companies. He went on to become a staff salaried financial advisor for a prominent Twin Cities family and eventually moved to become CFO for one of their corporate holdings. He held Controller positions with mid and large-sized corporations in the Twin Cities before committing himself to help the public with their financial needs in 1996.
As a financial advisor, he associated with Lincoln Financial Advisors, running public seminars and quickly gaining recognition within the firm and the community. He earned his CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™, CFP® designation in 2000. Dave’s practice, which he moved to Focus Financial in 2003, continues to flourish.
With thousands of financial advisors, it can be hard to tell one from another. The three factors I tell prospective clients to look for are:
- Trustworthiness. Without this, nothing else matters. The Fee-only approach helps ensure clients are treated in an honest and trustworthy manner
- Knowledgeable. A top advisor should understand a multitude of complex issues and be able to fit them together into the client’s situation.
- Passionate. Without the desire to use the above gifts, a client-advisor relationship falls empty. The advisor should have a hunger to find ways to help his clients achieve their goals.
My primary effort is usually directed toward money management, where I embrace the fee-only, fiduciary concept. I believe this is best for all parties. By keeping my fees below market rates while attempting to outperform expected returns (usually with less risk), clients can be assured I’m working in their best interests.
But money management is empty without comprehensive integration into people’s lives. Understanding client’s goals and quirks makes the planning process fun and enriching. Each client situation is like a puzzle to me, where I try to help put the pieces together to help clients get where they want to go.
Education and Designations
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Accounting, Magna Cum Laude
- CFP® – CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- CPA – Certified Public Accountant
Dave is a devoted Christian and involved in many volunteer efforts including leadership of community boards and coaching youth sports teams. He and his family live in the Minnetonka area.